Feb 23, 2008

To go or not to go? That is the question!... Y aller ou ne pas y aller ? Telle est la question!

Another snow storm hit us on Friday with almost a foot of snow accumulated on the ground in the Boston area.
Even though it’s not unusual at this time of the year, it didn’t cheer up neither the travelers who were grounded in various airports around the country, nor our four legged- friends.
Since the storm is over, Roméo, our Maine-Coon cat, gets some fresh air and inspects the white rug left by Mother Nature.
To go or not to go?
That is the question. "Well! Finally I'll go. Brrrr!"
Une nouvelle tempête de neige nous a frappés vendredi laissant presque vingt centimètres de neige sur Boston et sa région.
Même si ce n’est pas inhabituel à cette époque de l’année, cela n’a réjouit ni les voyageurs coincés dans divers aéroports du pays, ni nos amis à quatre pattes.
Maintenant que la tempête est terminée, Roméo, notre chat Maine-Coon, sort pour prendre l'air et inspecter le tapis blanc laissé par Mère Nature.
Y aller ou ne pas y aller? Telle est la question.
"Eh bien finalement... J'y vais. Brrrr !

______________________

FRENCH WEEKLY LESSON

French Vocabulary: TEST

Directions :
Select the best answer. Then check the answer by highliting the empty box, moving your cursor form left to right. (All the words below belong to previous posts/lessons!).

Good luck! Bonne chance!

1. a fork:
A. un couteau
B. une fourchette
C. une serviette
C. un étage

une fourchette
2. the ground:
A. le tapis
B. le sol
C. l'oiseau
D. la banlieue
le sol
3. a network:
A. un réseau
B. un manteau
C. une rive
D. un couloir
un réseau
4. the evening:
A. la poire
B. le jeudi
C. la neige
D. le soir
le soir
5. winter:
A. le métier
B. le sourire
C. le printemps
D. l'hiver
l'hiver
6. a knife:
A. une semaine
B. un endroit
C. un couteau
D. une tempête
un couteau
7. the road:
A. la route
B. la tour
C. le propriétaire
D. le retour
la route
8. the reading:
A. la lecture
B. l'ouverture
C. l'écriture
D. l'ordure
la lecture
9. the weather:
A. la saison
B. le vent
C. le temps
D. la couverture
le temps
10. the morning:
A. le jour
B. la main
C. le matin
D. le mois
le matin
11. a floor:
A. une pièce
B. un escalier
C. un étage
D. un air
un étage
12. the food:
A. la faim
B. la nourriture
C. l'oiseau
D. la marche
la nourriture
13. a month:
A. une moitié
B. un mois
C. une erreur
D. une règle
un mois
14. a neighborhood:
A. un trou
B. un quartier
C. un nid
D. une assiette
un quartier
15. a building:
A. un immeuble
B. un plat
C. un embouteillage
D. une colline
un immeuble

__________________________________________

L'EXPRESSION DE LA SEMAINE / EXPRESSION OF THE WEEK:
"Il fait un froid de canard!" (literally means: It's a cold of duck)- It's freezing cold.

22 comments:

Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

Oh, Roméo, you are SO cute! Where did he go?

(The boat in the driveway surrounded by snow really cracked me up. Only in New England!) >8D

BeanTownBoy said...

Dorothee, Dorothee, thank God for the 50% rule, lol. My results were exactly the same as the last test, but on a couple of the answers I outsmarted myself.

What Fenix meant to say is, "Romeo, Romeo, where for art thou?"

Beautiful cat!

The Lone Beader® said...

What a cute kitty photo!

And, I got about half of those answers right.

Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

Beantown, I really wanted to know where he went. :)

Did he just go for a walk in the snow around the 'hood? Please, Dorothée, do tell.

Also, Dorothée, do you like enchiladas?

BeanTownBoy said...

Sorry, Fenix, I just got all caught up in the Shakespearean title of the post, lol.

Dorothee, I got these wrong: ground, network, knife, floor, month, and building.

Dorothée said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dorothée said...

>Fenix, Oops! I pressed the wrong touch!!
yesss Fenix, I love enchiladas.
>Thanks Beantown, I am taking good note. I will insert them in an other exercise or text. Be ready:-)

Christiane said...

Hello Romeo,
Lucky and I are missing you. Long time, since you have been in our yard. Hope, you are doing fine. Lucky and I are bored of the snow and don't like to walk around. I have my own blog now and tell people in Germany about my life and the life of my human family in America. But of course, you don't speak German, and thus it's no use for you if I give you my link....
Hope to see you around, mach's gut Romeo. Maxi-cat.

Anonymous said...

Hi Fenix,
Thank you for your concern about me. In fact, I don't like walking on the snow. It's too cold for my paws! But my sister lives just across the street, so I payed her a short visit.
Romeo- The big Maine Coon Cat-

Anonymous said...

Hi Maxi-cat,
Thanks for stopping by. I hope you are doing fine. Congratulations for your own blog. But since I don't speak German, I would have some hard time to understand what it's about! Maybe I can enjoy the photos then...

Jack McCoy said...

I made a success of your test thank you very much.

j'ai réussi votre test merci beaucoup

alice said...

Le chat de Ruth (blog Flying) semble moins hésitant devant la neige...

Lori said...

Roméo is such an adorable cat. He looks big and furry! I guess he was going off on his own adventures. That's such a cute shot!

Annie said...

See your photo and thinking about French, perhaps the idiom should today be, l fait un froid de chat!

Jack McCoy said...

or "Il fait un temps à ne pas mettre un chat dehors"
je n'ai pas la traduction en anglais

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Yay!! Fifteen out of fifteen. My vocab is clearly far better than my grammar. Thank you for that. This blog is fab. Cute pics too though i'm nervous of cats.

Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

Roméo can type! What a hoot!!! >8D

Now, Dorothée, since you love enchiladas... If you promise that you will make them (and take a photo of them to prove it! :)) I will type the recipe for you. Deal?

Unknown said...

>Alice, En effet Roméo est un peu craintif!!! En revanche, c’est drôle sa sœur est très téméraire.

>Thank you Lori, Yes Romeo is a huge furry cat. It's a Maine Coon.

>Hi Annie, I like your new French expression: "il fait un froid de chat". I think it does fit very well the situation.

> Jack, je vais chercher la traduction. I'd very happy take the b

>A+ for you, Lynn. Keep up the good work!I am really glad you enjoy doing my French exercises and it's a real pleasure for me as well:-)

>Fenix, you bet! Romeo is unique and thus very special :-)
As for the enchiladas, I'd be happy to take the deal, but don't guarantee results though ;-)

Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

Dorothée, I couldn't find your email address. When you have a minute, would you please contact me at bostonscapes.dpb
at
gmail
com

(the things we must do to avoid spam!)

Thank you!

Cergie said...

Je ne sais si tu as connu cette chanson d'Anne Sylvestre parlant de froid de canard et se demandant pourquoi pas froid de pingouin ? Tout simplemnt parcequ'il n'y a pas de pingouin en France en général, et je comprends pourquoi en voyant tes photos et en regardant les bulbes sortis et les primevères dans notre jardin

Sais tu qu'il y a un chat qui a des "poils aux pattes" en réalité du poil entre les coussinets ? C'est le chat norvégien, ou Skaukatt
(Si cela t'intéresse, ce lien est vers un véritable chat norvégien que j'ai photographié)

Marie-Noyale said...

"Il fait un froid de canard"
...
et pourtant les miens comme tu as vu sont bien au chaud dans ma salle de bains!!
Je me demande si Romeo aimerait jouer avec eux!!!
Bon week end sous la neige..encore..peut etre...

Halcyon said...

15 sur 15... trop facile! :)

Merci pour tes commentaires sur mon blog. Malheureusement ces jours ci je n'ai pas beaucoup de temps pour poster des nouvelles photos. Mais j'espere que tu passeras de temps en temps pour regarder ce qu'on puisse offrir ici a Jackson.