Feb 5, 2006

Where two centuries clash


These old houses of Charlestown contrast with the modernity of the newly built Zakim Bridge over the Charles River. The bridge is part of the "Big Dig", a monumental project to bury the interstate highway 93 crossing Boston. The 185 feet wide bridge is the widest of its kind in the world, and cost over 100 million dollars.

Ces maisons historiques de Charlestown contrastent avec la modernité du pont Zakim récemment construit sur la Charles River. Ce pont fait partie du projet "Big Dig" qui a permis d'enterrer l'autoroute 93 à Boston. Le pont d'une largeur de plus de 56 mètres est le plus large dans sa catégorie et a coûté plus de 100 millions de dollars.

9 comments:

Michael Salone said...

Weekly? With photos like this you'll have to do better than weekly! Absolutely fantastic! I love the photo, the commentary, and the fact that it's bilingual. So....BostonDailyPhoto coming soon?

Eric said...

I agree with Michael, this is an excellent first photo, so I'll be looking for more!

Anonymous said...

belle photo de boston !
on a envie d'y etre.
et sympa le bilingue....
a+
al

Alex said...

Thank you all for your encouragement, I appreciate a lot.
A dimanche prochain!!
-Alex

Lucas said...

Great shot! Hope to see more of them. And one day, I've got to get myself to Bean Town!

Alex said...

Yes Karine, I confirm Boston is a very nice and pleasant place to live in!
-Alex

Blogging Masterclass said...

Terrific shot. I really dig your photos, very nice. I need to get my camera out and take some winter photos of the Back Bay or the South End. It's so beautiful there in the winter.

I'm in Boston too - click on my name for more...

Holly

Anonymous said...

This is a great perspective, it should go to an photography book about Boston. Again, I always learn something from your blog, like the fact that the bridge is the widest of its kind in the world.

Do you accept reader requests?

Jose

Alex said...

Jose> Thanks. Sure. Any suggestions is welcome.

-Alex