Oct 1, 2006

A fruitful life


Usually, I am not that attracted to cemeteries but this one has a unique and charming setting. Established in 1831, and inspired by the world famous Père Lachaise cemetery in Paris, the Mt. Auburn Cemetery blends nature and art. It is a romantic park, with hills and ponds featuring a vast arboretum with 10,000 trees of different species. Historical figures are buried there including the American poet Longfellow, the revolutionary war patriot Paul Revere and many more. Some of the graves created by great artists, stand as opulent sculptures or monuments such as a sphinx, a Greek temple or an obelisk. This one, simpler, is decorated with a coat laid on a sheaf of wheat which evokes the divine harvest and symbolizes a fruitful life.

En général, je ne suis pas attiré par les cimetières mais celui là se trouve dans un cadre unique et charmant. Créé en 1831 et inspiré du célèbre cimetière Le Père Lachaise à Paris, le cimetière Mt Auburn mêle la nature et l’art. C’est un parc romantique avec des collines et des étangs, aménagé d’un arboretum de 10.000 arbres d’essences différentes. De grands personnages historiques y sont enterrés comme le poète américain Longfellow, le patriote de la révolution américaine Paul Revere et beaucoup d’autres. Certaines tombes, créées par de grands artistes, forment d’opulentes sculptures ou monuments représentant un sphinx, un temple grec ou un obélisque. Celle-ci, plus simple, est décorée d’un manteau posé sur une gerbe de blé qui évoque la récolte divine et symbolise une vie fructueuse.

11 comments:

Olivier said...

Les cimetiers americains sont souvent tres agreables avec leurs grands parcs (Quand je vais a NYC, j'aime bien me ballader dans le Woodlawn Cemetery, et passer dire bonjour a Miles Davis, Lionel Hampton, ect..).
A cote d'Evry, il y a un cimetiere russe, c'est magnifique (bientot je mettrais des photos sur mon blog).
La tombe que tu as photographiée est tres belle dans sa simplicité

Kate said...

Excellent photo!

Annie said...

I enjoyed seeing this monument. Cemetaries often offer fascinating glimpses into past lives, I agree.

Anonymous said...

Alex, I had not visited your blog for a while, what great pictures!
I agree about Mt. Auburn cemetery. As a matter of fact, I think that I would like to buy my last home there! What I would like on my tombstone is a rooster, I think that there are other tombs in that cemetery or somewhere else with that decoration. In religious terms, the rooster is a symbol of the resurrection, but I think for me it might be a final way of "epater le bourgeois". Seriously, the photograph is lovely, and I had never noticed the symbol for a fruitful life.
We also love going to cemeteries, particularly in Paris. Pere Lachaise is wonderful, worth a whole day of visiting. But I was particularly oved at the Montmartre Cemetery by Dalida's grave (you probably don't remember her).

Keep up the good work!

Josde

Ame said...

Very interesting...I had to look twice cuz I thought that coat was actually something in stone designed on top of the thing! Great shot! :-)

matt said...

Very cool picture, I'm usually scared of cemeteries but i really like the way someone sculpted this one. Your picture makes it look like a peacful place.

~tanty~ said...

Yes, you're right. This one is very interesting. Nice shot!

Michael Salone said...

Hi Alex,

Your photos and descriptions get better and better (I keep saying that I know, but it's true!). What an interesting site to see in a place such as Boston.

By the way, be sure to check out the link I left for you on FanPop!

Alex said...

Merci Olivier,
La prochaine fois que j’irai à New York je ne manquerai pas d’aller visiter le Woodlawn Cemetery. Le cimetière russe dont tu parles est-il celui de Sainte Genevieve des Bois?

Kate, Thanks for stopping by.

Hi Annie, You're right. And this one is also a nice chronicle of local history.

Hi there Jose,
Nice to see you're back on my Boston blog and with lots of humor too. I also think this cemetary is a nice place to rest after life. I love the idea of the rooster (LOL)and dind't know it symbolizes ressurection. Since I like to play guitar, I would go with a guitar to decorate my tomb.

Hey Ame and Tanty,
We also thought this setting was interesting and very moving too.

He Michael,
I really appreciate your support and encouragement. It's great. I'll be sure to go check out this link. Many thanks.

Cergie said...

J'adore moi les cimetière !
Mais je veux être incinérée.

Neva said...

I love to look at old cemeteries...not a fan of visiting "new"ones but this is lovely..Thanks for visiting!