Jan 3, 2007

Fake or real?


This amazing collection of Glass Models of Plants, known as the “Glass Flowers”, located in the Harvard Museum Of Natural History, is the most unique in the world. It features more than 3,000 impressively realistic models of over 800 different plant species. This handcraft collection was created by the artisan Leopold Blaschka in Germany, from 1887 through 1936. The models show remarkably accurate anatomical details. Thanks to Elisabeth for pointing out this fabulous place in her comment on Eric’s blog.

Cette collection impressionnante de plantes en verre, connue sous le nom de «Glass Flowers» située dans le Musée Botanique de Harvard est unique au monde. Plus de 3.000 modèles parmi 800 espèces de plantes différentes étonnamment réalistes y sont exposées. Cette collection de fleurs de verre confectionnées à la main a été créée par l’artisan Leopold Blaschka, en Allemagne, entre 1887 et 1936. Les modèles montrent des détails anatomiques d’une remarquable précision. Un grand merci à Elisabeth pour avoir mentionné cet endroit fabuleux dans un de ses commentaires sur le blog d’Eric.

8 comments:

Olivier said...

j'aime beaucoup les jardins ds plantes. cette collection est tres belle (un petit tour sur Wikipedia ) et tres interessante.


I like much the gardens ds plants. this collection is very beautiful (a small turn on Wikipedia) and very interesting.

Michael Salone said...

Thanks Alex and Elisabeth for this great memory. I had the chance to see this once and was really impressed with the detail of the flowers all made in glass! An amazing exhibit!

Alex said...

Merci Olivier pour le link tres interessant sur Wikipedia.

Hey Michael, Lucky you saw the exhibit once. I agree with you this collection is quite unique and impressive.

alice said...

En verre...? Non c'est pas possible, je vois bien que ce sont de vrais feuilles! Tu nous racontes des blagues!

Annie said...

I'd never heard of this work but now I know that I MUST see it sometime. It looks beautiful in this photo and I can only imagine the experience I'd have if I were standing right there.

How did I forget to come by and see your blog for the past few weeks? I can't believe it slipped my mind that your site is one of the most enjoyable ones. I've been depriving myself too long. Thanks for coming by and leaving me a comment for that jogged my memory.

Happy New Year.

Alex said...

Oui Alice, incroyable mais vrai! Cette collection est fabuleuse. Les details des fleurs sont impressionnants.

Thank you Annie for your sweet comment. The same with me, I enjoy a lot you blog. You post very interesting and diversified topics along with catching text and photos. I wish I had more time to post more often.

Alex said...

Hey Michael,
I am glad you too have a great memory of this collection.
Take care,
-Alex

Nathalie H.D. said...

Ah oui, j'ai entendu parler de cette collection de plantes de verre, un incroyable exploit technique pour une reproduction parfaite. Je suis ravie de cette photo !